It is important to look at skin health because skin slows down its ability to produce good collagen and elasticity from the age of 28. The younger you look, the better you may feel about yourself. But aging is an unstoppable process and as the body ages, the appearance and characteristics of our skin change.
Age, hormones, sun exposure and smoking, all have a part to play, causing fine lines and wrinkles. Skin feels more fragile and less elastic. As our age increases the hyaluronic acid (HA) content of our skin decreases, causing us to retain less water. The oil-producing (sebaceous) glands become less active and our skin becomes drier. The skin also loses fat, so it looks less plump and smooth.
There are two major components of facial ageing:
- Dynamic lines which form only when moving the muscle, like a frown for example.
- Static lines, which are wrinkles that have become ingrained into the skin due to the volume loss.
Treating both of these main components of facial ageing leads to natural, balanced and refined outcomes.
Why Do Dentists Offer this Treatment?
- Dentists are highly knowledgeable about the anatomy of the face and understand how to treat it safely.
- Dentists are used to looking at people’s faces to observe symmetry and balance to create aesthetically pleasing smiles.
- Dentists have skills honed with years of administering injections and this also allows dentists to use traditional local anaesthesia if necessary.
What you can expect from Facial Aesthetic Treatments
Facial rejuvenation treatments may involve the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles with wrinkle relaxing injections and/or soft tissue sculpting using injectable dermal fillers.
You will be provided advice on skincare and the treatment and prevention of skin ageing.
Very often a wrinkle or a line appears on the face because of a deficiency or movement in a different area. Therefore it is essential to assess the face as a whole rather than just treating the features in isolation.
The aim is to improve and enhance your own features to look rejuvenated, refreshed and above all, natural. There is no ‘one size fits all’ with aesthetic procedures. That is why we will always spend time at your consultation assessing your facial structure and skin and understanding your concerns and goals. Your treatment will be planned just for you and will be as individual as you are.